Thursday, April 04, 2013

Tick Tock, there goes my damn clock...


As a 33 years old woman, I am beginning to wonder about this “biological clock” deal. Last year, when I found out I had Fibroids my Gynecologist informed me that my plans for being an “older mom” needed to be revised. When I was in my teens I swore I would start my family by 30. Well as 30 began to slowly creep up on me, I changed my plans to having a child in my late 30s or early 40s. Keep in mind; I did not have a husband (or a potential one) at that time. It was just another one of my lofty goals. My doctor advised me to look on the brighter side, at least now I was engaged to be married to my now husband. Her point being, there’s no extra stress in finding a man.

Well here we are almost a year later and once again, I am being reminded about starting now (if I want to have a child). I understand since the beginning of time, we have known that woman become less fertile after 35. However, our generation started a trend of putting off having a family for the sake of securing a career. I guess there is never a perfect time to start a family. For me, I am not ready 100 percent mentally. I still feel very selfish about my freedom and time. Hell, I am still adjusting to having a husband (it’s been almost six months). I know I want to enjoy time being newlyweds but now there’s this pressure of deciding when we should start having a kid.

I am very grateful for the fact that my husband is extremely supportive of my decision. Maybe because he has a son already, so there’s no immediate rush. But there is a sense of urgency on my part, I realize my Mother is getting older and I would love for her to enjoy her grandkid (especially since she’s retired and enjoying life). We also have plans to do as much traveling as possible and once you have a child things get reprioritize. Well I guess, I will find out the latest from my doctor during my appointment tomorrow morning. 

No comments:

What I Have To Say